Tuesday 21 August 2007

Reflective Participant: An Audience with Adrienne

I was really inspired by An Audience with Adrienne tonight and coming after a few days of dreary performances I am glad, as I was starting to loose the will to see more theatre! I am considering this performance as a possible case-study, so I wanted to briefly share my thoughts. I am not going to go into full details as I am paying for access by the 1\2 hr- so the highlights will do.
-the setting was the recognisable social space of a lounge or living room. It was very cosy and did not feel staged or like set.

-Adrienne is clearly in character but addresses all of the audience in a relaxed manner. He treats us as guests rather than as audience. Although we do watch some of his ‘performance’ moments because of the liminal space that he has created it becomes more of a sharing. We are present as his guests in his private space.

-he engages us in conversation and we are encouraged to share personal stories with him and the other audience who are present. It is very relaxed. We also got to choose from a ‘menu’ of things that we wanted him to talk about. It was autobiographical. We all share the same conceptual and material space with the performer too.

-we had to complete little tasks-like building a mini sandcastle in pairs.

Great!

I have many many more thoughts about this performance but those are some of the aspects of dramaturgy that I think are striking in terms of participative performance.

No comments: