Wednesday 5 September 2007

Maker’s Diary: Some developments

I met with Olu today to discuss progress and other research matters; then I met with a few potential performers to discuss the performance and what their role would be. So I think I will start by sharing my thoughts about the meeting with Olu and then move on to discuss my chat with the potential performers.

Meeting with Olu

-we discussed the preparations for my upgrade next year and decided on a plan of action for how I need to move forward with that. I think that one of the key aspects is getting both practical parts of the research completed; the performances and the case studies. I can’t really move forward with conceptualising my thesis until I have done this.
-Olu wants me to involve his current debates students in this round of the experiments. He is going to make it compulsory to attend the performance itself as part of the module. He is thinking about getting me to give a performance discussion afterwards for them.
-We discussed Edinburgh and some of the work that I saw there; I am going to contact Little Dove Theatre & Breatheartists to see if they are happy to be used as case studies and answer some questions for me.

I am making progress and moving in the right direction now.

Meeting with Potential Performers
Dan, Adam, Phil and Ruth all came to meet me in the SCR. They all seem really excited about the project, particularly Phil and Ruth. It is difficult to get an idea of their ‘performativity’ from a quick chat but as they are going to present in the performance as themselves a quick chat gives me some indication. They all have experience performing and are keen. Commitment at this stage is as important as anything else. I have taken their contact details and explained a little about the performance but have said that I will e-mail them when I have finalised more details. They are now aware of the concept and time scale. So it is all good.

No comments: