Thursday 7 June 2007

Makers Diary: Panic sets in

Lorraine came back down today with the costumes and they all fit beautifully…even Richie’s. I went shopping for the last bits of costume and props and I think we are all set, chalk and all. A fellow research student, Charly has kindly posted an advert for the show on the council’s intra net for me so I hope that will generate some more interest. After she did this, I had a really interesting e-mail from a gentleman called Richard Ryan, which read as follows:
Hello Joanna,
Are you performing any time other than this weekend? Would like to be able to see it - I'm responsible for putting new work on at The Railway Inn (very limited space). If not, perhaps a DVD? Or a chat?
Cheers
Richard Richard Ryan Events & Promotions Assistant Arts Service, Hampshire County Council Mottisfont Court High Street Winchester SO23 8ZF
Tel: 01962 846019 Fax: 01962 841644
I thought that this was very interesting and replied as follows:

Hi Richard
Thank you for your e-mail. It would be lovely to have a chat! We are taking Siren Song to Camden People's Theatre, London on the 3rd July 07, so you would have an opportunity to catch it there, if not I would be really happy to get you a copy of the DVD once it is all put together.
Warm wishes
Joanna Bucknall

I am hoping that this might be the start of some possible opportunities for the future.

Today was actually supposed to be a day off for the performers but because yesterday presented quite a few issues with words and structure, I have had to call a rehearsal today as well. (Luckily I did book a space for us just in case I needed a space to finish off props or any last minute one to ones…..good job really). We did a four hour session today and ran the entire thing through twice. The first time went reasonably well but still had issues with text and structure. The second run was fantastic; Nikki, Debs and Rich were on fire! It was just great, the worked as an ensemble to tell their stories and deliver their text, they really invested in the participation improvs and used a good range of the toolkit…even remembered their texts….fucking hey….that is more like it…that is what I need to see.

Tomorrow we are going to have a full dress rehearsal and we will run it twice again. It will not be in the actual space but at least we have a proper studio to work in, that is something. It will be the first time that we get to run it through will all of the props, costumes and music. Lorraine will be coming to help out with make up and dressing, then she will be audience for us. I am obviously hoping that both dress rehearsals will go as well as the second run today. I have asked the performers to try and persuade a couple of peeps to come along and act as audience for us, because we really need to actually try out that input. I want the performers to get a chance to work with participants from outside of the process before the opening night really. It will give them an idea of what to expect. I have tried to be an objective audience member for them in our sessions but I am not at all, I can’t be. So fingers crossed.

No comments: