Wednesday 20 June 2007

Reflective Practitioner: Meeting with Synne

I am not going to give a blow by blow account of my meeting with Synne but one of the key things that she raised was that she did not feel that her participation in the event mattered. I have been considering this since this afternoon and it is something that I really need/want to address; I want the audience to participate in a ‘creatorly’ manner and I want their participation to matter. It is very frustrating that I was not able to achieve that and also that I have so little time to develop the work before it goes to Camden. There were moments when it appeared t compel the audience, such as the game of musical share but I need time to consider and understand why this mattered when the opportunity to devise did not. Right I am going to go and do some readings…look back at the performance and rehearsal tapes and try to understand why the freedom of devising did not compel the audience in the way that musical shares did. I was inspired by Playback theatre (http://www.playbackschool.org/) for the format of the devising section and the audience appeared to be very engaged at the two events I attended. I really want to get to the bottom of this and try to understand that dynamic and relationship.

No comments: