Sunday 10 June 2007

Reflective Practitioner: Performance Two

She sighs and exhales audibly, as she sinks back into the plush feather pillows…as she closes her eyes the evenings events dance across the back of her eyelids………….

Okay I am not going to repeat any issues that cropped up tonight that I already mentioned yesterday, as I do not think there is much point at this stage.

We had a much bigger audience tonight and the ushers managed to get the audience to sit in the horse shoe section…which was great. Still though, I think that despite the more intimate nature of tonight’s performance, the seating arrangement created too much of a physical and conceptual barrier. I am going to really carefully reconsider how to expand the liminal space of the performance space to include the audience from the very off.

Again, the audience seemed to really get into musical chairs and there was a real sense of fun, competition and playfulness. The secrets about ‘her’ were great and they really seemed to get into the spirit of things. As the most successful part of the performance I need to reconsider this device.

I was VERY disappointed with the improves tonight, the audience really don’t seem to understand what we are trying to get at, I need to find a way of making the rules of engagement specific and matter to the audience so that they feel inclined to play with us. I am worried with so little time between now and Camden.

The audience did not use the diary booth at all tonight; however, some of them took part in an after show discussion that was really interesting.

Some initial thoughts about re-development:

Need to spend more time thinking about and developing their performance presence.

Need to make explicit the rules of engagement

Need to make it matter to the audience in a fundamental way, so that they really invest in the performance.

I need to re-evaluate the performance really thoroughly on terms of my research aims as I feel these two experiments failed to create the role of the creatorly participant.

Need to find a way of collecting and generating audience feedback.

That is enough for tonight I am proper bushed…so to my bed.

No comments: