Saturday 21 April 2007

Reflective Practitioner- Metalepsis

I was flicking through my notes from the JAM symposium and I came across some interesting notes that I think are very interesting in relation to the texts that I posted up earlier.

Metalepsis- is taking hold of the story telling or narrative by shifting the level or perspective (comes from film theory). There are two types: type one and type two. Type one is a film within a film or a narrative within a narrative. Type two, involves crossing into another universe or construction of time, space or dimension. (For example, a character who is narrating might move across and become a part of the action or narrative that they were narrating). They gave Punchdrunk’s work as a really good example of this.

I think that I use both types of Metalepsis in my two pieces of text. I should research into sutre theory some more. (this is when the liminal space becomes the concern and the audience is required to complete the discursive structures) This might be useful in trying to identify a term with which to refer to the work that I have encountered and will be making which puts the audience in the role of material creatorly participant.

No comments: