Friday 27 April 2007

Reflective Participant: Generous Avatar

I am fucked today...so tired..have been up since 5.30..shit that was yesterday now....I am insane.....but its all for a good cause.
Spent the day with Olu...so much stuff to say...where to start..hmm...I think I will start with Olu's work and then move on to talk about how it helped my work....yep that's what I’ll do...I have just enough energy left....need to get it down while it is fresh in my head.
Generous Avatar- The Process
its about creating a space in which all can experience.
Avatar as embodied spirituality (Jesus, Buddah)/Avatar as a virtual image, as digital representation of self.
creating an event, not a work, an embodied space.....stations, the artists giving generously to us a part of them, a piece of them....taking risks...laying themselves bare....laying themselves open...to us, the audience...to gaze..to construction...to multiple meanings of self.
Creating an experience, improv, devising, giving to us....like a gallery....a living space...living, shifting objects and artefacts...including the audience...they become subject and object at the same time.
The possibility of numerous gazes, looking at looking, multi-views, multi eyes, multi lenses, multi representations...
Not perf/audience space....all in one..all together...our space is one and the same.

Generous Avatar-The Performance
audience seem nervous and apprehensive to actually enter the space, they seem to linger at the entrance until there is no more room, tentative steps to enter in.....They seem to follow each other in a strange crocodile line.......confused...self aware....aware of the other audience members gaze on them.....I am aware of the gaze of the others.....quite whispers among each other....touching the art objects and artefacts....looking at themselves looking at the screens.
They are hesitant and suspicious of the offer of a sandwich....they stay in a group avoiding being alone...they flock around specific action....very few make an independent decision of what to look at......they move away from the performers...keep backing off and making an artificial performance space..they keep making a separation between them and the performers.
Hmmm...there is so much more to say but I grow weary now...i have it all in notes but those are the bits that really roused my interest...
The Lecture-
Olu introduced me to some of his students, I explained the project and my research...have had a few students give me there details....all women....i hope that this is just the beginning.......bed now

No comments: