Tuesday 13 March 2007

Makers Diary: Frustration

I am getting so fed up on having to wait around all the time for other people, I know that collaboration is embedded in the act of making theatre and that it is part of the ontology of theatre in both production and reception but it does get deeply frustrating.
I always seem to have this problem whenever I attempt to mount a piece of work...I am constantly held back or let down by those around me.
I am going to start to do some of the production design.

This type of collaborative devised process is time consuming and really does require a particular attitude and approach from those involved. It is the sum of its parts and the people who are involved are what shape and make up the process and out come. I am worried that if I do not get the right group of people together, that I will end up having to devise and fix more of the project by myself than I would like to. This process should really be undertaken over at least a 6 month period in order to allow the dynamic to be built and a collective sensibility and aesthetic to emerge organically. I do not have that sort of time and I still have no idea really who my devising group will be made up of. I think for this reason I am going to have to think carefully about my approach. I will just have to wait and see what happens. I know what I would like to happen and ideally how I would like to approach the project but I am concerned that this will end up being deeply compromised by circumstances. I will just have to work really hard to try and keep on track, ensuring the integrity of the creative and research values of the project. I am going to have a little think about what my approach should be made up of and the ways in which I might be able to achieve that.

No comments: