Tuesday 27 March 2007

Makers Diary: Industrious Me

Ok...I have worked through what I've got so far and e-mailed David with a detailed outline of what my requirements are, it went a little something like this:

My theatre piece is going to devised and as I have not yet got my performers (holding off on this until I get confirmation of the staffing), most of the details of the project are still very much up in the air. (until I can begin my process of devising).

There are, however, a few things that I know I will need and can tell you about:

1. Audience Seating.
My work will be participatory and because of this the seating arrangements for the audience is crucial to the project. I do not need the traditional formal seating arrangements...the audience will be occupying the same space as the performers, there needs to be no auditorium as such or usual audience/performer divide. I was hoping that I would be able to arrange a horse shoe style arrangement facing BS with a gap for the performers to enter. The performance space will be in the middle of the horse shoe. (and needs to be a good size to enable the performers plenty of space to do their thing.)

2. Sound.
I will need to use the PA set up in order to play soundscape and there will also be a portable HIFI system in the performance space. There is the possibility that I may use two dynamic cordless microphones a well. (I have two of my own and I am not sure yet if I will use them in performance or not)

3. Lighting.
I have not yet put together a lighting plan and due to the restrictions I think that it will be best if I plan that around what will be set up already and available to me.

4. Set & Props.
I will not be using any set. The only props that I can anticipate using at the moment are a whole lot of red shoes and 3 small wooden blocks that the performers will stand on. I might also have a small costume rail.

5. Documentation.
I need to record the entire proceedings as well as gather phenomenological experiences after the performance. I will have a broadcast quality digital camera on a fixed tripod recording the entire theatre piece. (It should not need any cables or external electrics). I also need to set up a booth that will have a small digital handy cam and an audio recording device separate from the performance space, so that the audience can go in and record their views/experiences/ comments about the work. (this may need a power source.)

Is it possible to have a copy of the lighting set up details and the stage layout details so that I can work around what will be there? I need to actually go and have a look at the Perf Gym, as I have never used it before. (or know where it is for that matter!)

I also wanted to ask how I go about booking space to rehearse in?

What colour is the flooring? I wanted to inscribe on the floor in white chalk, so I was hoping that it is black. Chalk should wipe off easily but if this is a problem, I can try and find a way around it. (Inscribing the perf space is part of my thesis).

He did e-mail me back and suggest that we should meet up to discuss all my requirements, so I will organise a time and date that will suit us both.

I also had an e-mail from Sharon today saying that the space will be coming with limitations...story of my bloody life that is...it went something like this:

Hi Joanna
This is for the perf gym. However, due to the pressure of assessments there will be some limitations attached. Please see David’s email below. Due to the time constraints it would also mean that if you do decide to draw in chalk in the perf gym you would need to ensure all this is cleaned off before you leave on Sunday, or you could talk to David about some possible ways around this i.e. using a temporary floor covering etc. I would recommend that you contact David Buss ASAP to talk through the tech and other ramifications. I will endeavour to book a duty manager to manage the front of house aspects in the meantime.

‘Hi Sharon,

Just to confirm our discussion, I have no problem with this booking in principle however Joanna should be aware that the space will be in 'Dance mode' This means that the side panels will be out with wing flats in place and side lighting booms. These along with much of the rig will have been focused for the following Dance assessments. Time constraints will not allow us to change this.

We will endeavour to book a casual technician for the weekend but the cost of this will have to be borne by the project.’

I am NOT a happy bunny and I am going to need to have a think about this...I may even e-mail Liz and Olu...never know...GRRRR

No comments: