Wednesday 21 March 2007

Reflective Practitioner: why text?

The director usually works with the cast to realise and present the text according to the director’s artistic vision. Although I am the author of the text and will be the director, I am not interested in my intentions alone. I am more concerned with exploring the texts as site or found objects in which the performers and I can carve our own path. The Wooster Group, famously use this approach to received texts, using them as found objects and interrogating them in relation to other texts and resources. Willem DaFoe discusses how this approach works for him in performance; ‘I’m saying the text, but I am always wondering what my relationship to the text is. Me, personally, not the character- ‘cause I don’t know about the character. If someone asked me about John proctor the character, I wouldn’t be able to tell him a thing’.

Although the texts that we will be using could fall into the understanding of being modern or contemporary dramatic texts, we will not be approaching them in the usual way. I think I am going to have to go away and do some more research on this.

No comments: